4.9 stars on Google with 100+ Reviews
Thank you! Your submission has been received! One of our team members will contact you promptly. For immediate service, please call us at (704) 912-4422
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
7 things to consider when buying hearing aids
By Top-Rated Charlotte Audiologist, Dr. Gosu
When it comes to shopping for hearing aids, there are many factors to consider. From prescription hearing aids to over the counter hearing aids, there are many options out there. To clear things up, here are seven important things you should keep in mind to help you shop for and select the right device for you.
- Your level of hearing loss: The degree and type of hearing loss you have will help determine the type of hearing aid that will work best for you. Some hearing aids are suitable for mild hearing loss, while others are designed for more severe cases. There are some hearing aids, like invisible models or those with a non-custom tip, that are best utilized with only mild-to-moderate hearing losses. There are other models that were designed for more severe hearing levels. A hearing test from an Audiologist can help determine your level of hearing loss.
- The style of hearing aid: There are several different styles of hearing aids available, each with their own unique benefits and drawbacks. Behind-the-ear (BTE), in-the-ear (ITE), and in-the-canal (ITC) are among the most common. Hearing Solution Center offers all of the models from the top manufacturers in the industry, including Starkey, Oticon, Phonak and Resound.
- Comfort and fit: You will likely be wearing your hearing aid for many hours each day, so it is important that it is comfortable and fits well. Many people forget about comfort when selecting their device, but it's an essential factor in determining whether or not you are successful with a particular device. Make sure whatever model and style you choose feels comfortable against skin while wearing them throughout extended periods. Without a proper fit, even the best technology won't provide much benefit if discomfort causes you to not wear them as often as you should.
- Features and technology: Hearing aids can come with a range of different features, including health tracking, artificial intelligence, rechargeability, and Bluetooth streaming. Research the latest advancements on the market and consider which features are most important to you. Dr. Goutham Gosu can help discuss your options and which technologies are more likely to work with your hearing loss, lifestyle and budget.
- Cost, Financing and Insurance: The cost of hearing aids can vary greatly depending on their features and technology level, so it is important to consider your budget when selecting a device. Keep in mind that some hearing aids may be covered by insurance or other programs, so be sure to explore your options. Most often, insurance companies offer a discount or partial benefit for hearing aids.
- Warranty Coverage: Last but certainly not least , always confirm what kind of warranty coverage each brand offers prior buying; this includes repair / replacement policies along with length duration available ( typically 1– 3 years ) which helps protect investment long term in case an unexpected malfunction occurs at a later date. Also important to note, some hearing aids purchased online do not have full warranties.
- Professional Services: It’s important that you find a qualified audiologist who specializes in fitting hearing aids correctly for optimal performance — this will ensure that they work properly and that you won’t experience any issues down the line due to improper fit, programming or calibration errors. Additionally, look into what type of follow-up services a provider offers after purchase. Cleaning, professional maintenance and reprogramming can help extend both the life of the product and satisfaction levels over time.
At Hearing Solution Center in Charlotte, we utilize evidence-based best practices in our hearing aid fittings. This ensures that our patients get the best possible outcomes with their devices. Because of this, we have gained recognition as a top Audiology and hearing aid center in Charlotte. If you’d like to learn more about the hearing aids we offer, contact us today for an appointment.